It's the time of year where I feel like EVERYONE around me is sick... and fingers crossed/knock on wood, I have not gotten the flu in years and have only had one real cold in a long time! I don't get flu shots (not for any strong reason, really, I'm just not interested) and I swear by a whole lot of easy, little natural things to help my body stay healthy all winter long.
I'm by NO means a doctor or a professional or anything, so please do your own research and talk to your doctors to see what will work best for you, but this is what I've found works best for me after lots of reading, researching, talking to trusted pros, and doing some trial and error!
- Taking daily vitamins and supplements. // I take this multivitamin, vitamin B12, magnesium, and the chewable vitamin C from Trader Joe's. I also take a probiotic mix from Arbonne called digestion plus that's great (I don't sell it, but many people do!). I'm also LOVING my personalized vitamin packs from Care/Of -- they're amazing.
- Drinking an ACV concoction daily. // I mix 8 oz of water with a splash (probably about a tablespoon) of apple cider vinegar, add a citrus Arbonne fizz stick (cleaner energy, tastes like emergen-C!) and one stick of digestion plus. It's like a mock kombucha, it's delicious, and it does wonders for my gut/stomach.
- Drinking herbal teas. // The herbal detox tea from Arbonne is one of my favorites, but I also love this organic peachy green tea and the white peach ginger tea from Trader Joe's, especially when I have a stomachache. I also recently found this organic spiced turmeric matcha and LOVE it!
- Mixing turmeric into my food. // I especially love doing oatmeal in the morning with a few shakes of turmeric, a little cinnamon, a sprinkle of coconut sugar, some dried no sugar added cranberries, and chia seeds. Filling, hearty, and helps with inflammation. I'll add turmeric to sautéed or roasted veggies, too.
- Drinking a TON of water. // I go for 100+ ounces a day -- I have found that I drink way more water when it's through a straw, so I keep a 32 ounce glass mason jar at my desk at work and try to drink 2-3 during the work day, at least one glass of water before I leave home in the mornings, and several more in the evenings. I legitimately drink so. much. water. But I think it makes a big difference in my overall health and wellbeing!
- Eating local honey. // This isn't vegan, admittedly, but eating local honey helps a LOT with seasonal allergies, and I'd much rather eat a little honey than take some allergy pill with crap I don't know in it. So, I'll spoon a little honey into my tea for a natural sweetener! I get mine at the farmer's market, but any local health food store or Whole Foods will have honey local to your area, too.
- Drinking elderberry syrup. // As soon as I start to feel even the least bit sick, I take a daily spoonful of elderberry syrup. I got mine from my local organic food store, and it's great! It tastes like a rich berry syrup, and the flavor can be a little intense, but I actually really like it.
- Diffusing essential oils. // I have a sleepy time blend I love (and adore this diffuser that has a timer so it shuts off after I'm asleep!) and have been diffusing Arbonne's "harmony" blend recently and loving the citrusy scent! Any other oils you recommend for staying healthy?!
- Doing acupuncture. // Recently, my acupuncturist told me I had a latent virus, but she cleared it with her magnets and said I wouldn't get sick. I didn't! It's still blowing my mind how the body works and how acupuncture and muscle testing and such can really work, but it is, and I'm so grateful.