I've had a few friends ask lately where to start when it comes to being vegan or gluten-free, and I wanted to gather up all of the best resources I've found so it's easy to share! I'm by no means an expert when it comes to being either vegan or gf, and if I've learned anything so far, it's that we're all just learning and figuring it out together. Having an arsenal of resources, recipes, information, and supportive friends at your disposal is essential when you're navigating eating and living differently.
For those who don't know, I'm both gluten-free and vegan. I stopped eating meat by choice in June 2010 after watching Food, Inc. and feeling disgusted at the conditions of the meat industry. Finding out about allergies to wheat and dairy in August 2012 prompted me to be fully vegan (although I made occasional exceptions for eggs and some seafood) and gluten-free.
As of now, I'm both fully gf and vegan (which includes avoiding all wool, leather, gelatin, animal products of any kind, honey, etc). There is literally no way to exist on this earth and entirely avoid all animal products... they are in so many things that we just can't function without (like in the rubber of our tires, in some necessary medications, etc), but I make all possible changes I can to ensure that I'm living a cruelty-free life.
There are affiliate links listed below-- if you shop through these links, it won't cost you any extra but will help support my blogging endeavors! Thanks in advance!
Here are my tried-and-true favorite resources:
- Minimalist Baker's Everyday Cooking
- Fresh from the Vegan Slow Cooker
- The Gluten-Free Vegan
- Gluten-Free for Good
- The Vegan Bible
- Everything Vegan
- Forks Over Knives (recipes, info, and more!)
- The Free and Wild Blog (Annie is a dear friend, and she shares amazing blog posts about being both vegan + gf!)
- PETA (Yes, you've heard of them, but there's SO MUCH here. It will change your outlook to read things on their site for sure.)
- Vegan Freak: Being Vegan in a Non-Vegan World
- Cooked // read my review here
- In Defense of Food // read my review here